Central Oregon is one big dog friendly adventure ready to be explored. As many central Oregonians know, we have a large variety of wild flowers and plants all over our trails and campgrounds and in our home, and some of them can be very toxic to dogs if ingested or they can be irritating to their skin. I wanted to name a few plants for you to be aware of out on trails, in campgrounds and in homes to keep your pup away from harmful and/or toxic plants while you both enjoy the outdoors and lounging around at home. Some toxic plants we have in Oregon that are also kept as house plants are
- Japanese yew
- Autumn Crocus
- Aloe plant
This is just a small list of some common plants in our area that are also house plants that we should have an awareness about when it comes to the health and safety of our pets!
Here’s a picture guide below of some plants you may see on trails or in homes. You can also click the link below for more information on many other poisonous plants to look out for. Please seek out any vet care if your dog ingests any of these plants or is having a bad reaction after a walk in the woods. There is also a “Pet Safe” app that has a list of poisonous plants and will share some steps on what to do right away until you are able to get to a vet or receive advice on what to use in a canine first aid kit to help on hand. Just search “Pet Safe” in your Apple or Android app store and download. You may purchase the app for many resources that can help you with your dog in an unfortunate event.