Dogs & Algae

During these hot summer months some of us make plans to take our dogs to the lake, the river or ponds to cool down and swim. While most dogs love the water and enjoy swimming, there can be precautions to take depending on where you go. Algae will grow in any water, warm or cold as long as there is sunlight and depending on the nutrients in the water it can be toxic. Toxic algae grows in warm temperatures during summer months and can be very harmful to people, pets and livestock. It’s a blue-green color and sits on top of the water, it’s more common in stagnant water like ponds or lakes or bodies of water. If you go to the lake or a pond to take your dog to swim and cool down, be aware of the water your dog is going to be swimming in and drinking from. Stay alert, look for a blue-green slime that gathers on the shore or the surface of the water. Be sure to rinse your dog thoroughly after swimming in areas where there is algae as they can ingest the toxins from licking/grooming themselves. Even during these colder seasons coming up Algea may still be lurking around. If you think you dog ingested toxic algae, look for these signs.

  • Excessive panting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Disorientation
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Respiratory failure
  • Vomiting
  • Liver failure
  • Ultimately death

If your dog experiences any of these symptoms then contact your vet immediately.

 

Information from:

https://www.aspca.org/news/pet-safety-alert-rising-dangers-blue-green-algae

 

To look up Lakes in the state of Oregon that have been flagged for toxic algae visit the link below!

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/healthyenvironments/recreation/harmfulalgaeblooms/pages/blue-greenalgaeadvisories.aspx

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.